If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

You are replying to:

• Brainstorm with me for a few if you all will. Our goal: to merge maps and projects.

So we have a few things we really want to solve with this:

1. We dont need two separate sections for maps.
    2. We want people to be able to easily submit "new" versions of maps.
    3. We still want to maintain authorship.

So now, here's what I'm thinking.

Maps become projects, except, that rather than having an entire separate system, each map can just have a "new version" flag, which simply points to the newest version of the map.

Maps with this flag, would still be visible (if you went to their page), but they would tell you that you're viewing an old version (much like they do with the projects right now).

These maps would then receive a lower priority in search, and the browse pages. Basically, any map that isnt marked as "old" would be placed above it (except in search, where its weighted).

This would then make it so if you search for "DotA", there's much fewer results, and hopefully the real dota not only shows up top, but all versions of it disappear (mostly).

There's also the alternative method which we could do in browse/search, which just says "N old versions were omitted from your search results" much like Google does, and a link to show all results. Personally, I prefer this one, but I'll leave that up to you guys.

So, now, we've eliminated the project system entirely (success), and we just need to fix management of these. We have already built a basic map component into the dashboard, but we would clean this up. It'd appear much more like the projects component, and again a "show older versions" link would be present. Each map would simply have an "Upload New Version" associated with it.

Users would also be able to do this (without being the author), and we'd place it in the pending changes system. This would mean that any of you could upload a new version of DotA, and it would instantly become available. As soon as a moderator sees the pending change, it would then be linked in with the older versions of DotA.

Let's get to the feedback. I'm very curious as to what everyone thinks of this concept, as it's a bit different than what other sites do. I definitely think its the right approach to simplifying what has become a confusing process.

Have feedback about Nibbits.com? Let me know!
    Addict
    Battle.net
    Name:
    zeeg99
    Realm:
    Lordaeron (U.S. West)

Support Nibbits by linking to us: