offensive-line talk to Chris Shultz
submit to reddit

• CALGARY -- The Calgary Flames say left-winger Michael Ferland has been charged with assault as a result of an incident outside a bar in Cochrane, Alta. The Flames said Tuesday in a statement that team officials met with 20-year-old Ferland, who was drafted by Calgary in 2010 and played with the WHL Brandon Wheat Kings, and are taking steps to learn more about the incident. RCMP officers were called to a disturbance on July 29 outside a bar and found a man had been pushed to the ground. Police say a man who tried to assist the victim was struck in the face and knocked unconscious, and suffered a fractured orbital bone. Investigators say Ferland, of Brandon, Man., is charged with aggravated assault and assault. Ferland was released from an RCMP detachment after he promised to appear in court. He is scheduled to appear in Cochrane court Sept. 4. Ferland said in a statement he denies any wrongdoing in the incident. "It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt and I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible," Ferland said. Due to legal considerations, the Flames say the team is unable to provide much comment about the situation. "While embarrassed, Michael maintains he is innocent with respect to the charges," the Flames statement said. "The organization will support Michael as he moves through the legal process." www.denverbroncosjersey.biz/Von-Miller-Shirts-Jersey.html . -- Tampa Bay defensive end Adrian Clayborn will miss the rest of the season because of a right knee injury that will require surgery. www.denverbroncosjersey.biz/Stewart-Bradley-Shirts-Jersey.html . -- The New England Patriots have placed wide receiver Donte Stallworth on injured reserve with an ankle injury. http://www.denverbroncosjersey.biz/Ryan-Clady-Shirts-Jersey.html . Reimer was the steady, effective force behind the Leafs sixth win in eight games and third in four tries against Montreal this year, stopping 36 pucks in a 5-1 victory at the Air Canada Centre on Saturday evening. www.denverbroncosjersey.biz/Joel-Dreessen-Shirts-Jersey.html . Seth Smith hit a solo homer for the Rockies, who bounced back from Fridays 14-inning loss. Carlos Gonzalez went 3-for-4 with an RBI and run scored. Greg Reynolds, making his first start of 2011 in place of the injured Ubaldo Jimenez, gave up two runs on three hits over six innings. www.denverbroncosjersey.biz/Julius-Thomas-Shirts-Jersey.html . -- The London Knights and the Shawinigan Cataractes will be coming from opposite directions when they collide in the final of the Mastercard Memorial Cup.When you saw the word "preview" in the headline, Im sure you thought that this would be a breakdown of the top-rated college athletes and just which team may pick them in this years CFL Canadian College Draft. However, my colleague Duane Forde at TSN has done such a nice job of that over the last couple of weeks on this website that I think I will leave the evaluation of the upcoming Class of 2011 to him. By the way, I know it isnt breaking news but it seems to me that Duane could be very valuable in the front office of one of the teams in the league. But lets continue. Note that this is a preview of how our show, which will air on TSN and TSN Mobile TV today at 12:30pm et/9:30am pt, will work and what to expect. First, there will be two panels - one hosted by Rod Black and one by Farhan Lalji - and they will quarterback the discussion as each team has eight minutes to make their selections in Round One and five minutes in Round Two. On Blackys panel will be Chris Schultz, Matt Dunigan and I, who will attempt to create a debate regarding each teams selections and what we believe to be the needs of each team, going into to each pick. I should mention here that in the CFL draft, it is assumed that offensive linemen are always a good selection, whether you are picking them to provide depth or looking for a possible starter. Teams can never go wrong picking one of the big boys up front. However, with all due respect to Chris Shultz and the guys affectionately called the hoggies, and with a complete understanding as to their importance on a football team, they arent the most exciting guys to talk about on a TV show. So for the most part, I am going to look elsewhere; at different positions and the possible needs of the teams this year in the CFL and leave the O-line talk to Shultzy. Our second panel will include Duane Forde, Steve Sumarah and Blake Nill, two of the top university coaches in the country, who will take and in-depth look a the prospects and what they may bring to the table with their new team. They will also look at what may be areas that the new recruits have to work on as they take the next step in their football careers. Now, I cant speak for any of the colleagues on our panel but I can give you a quick preview of where I may be going in the first three picks of this years draft when it comes to the needs of tthe teams making the selections.dddddddddddd At number one is the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, and again with the assumption that O-line is always a good pick, I may debate the need for a receiver here. I know the speculation is that the Bombers are looking at linebacker first overall, but all Bomber fans have to ask themselves here is; when was the last time they had a real productive Canadian receiver in the line up? Receiver is perhaps a bit more of a gamble, but as much as Winnipeg needs players from this draft they can put on the roster this year, they also need a Canadian receiver that one day will be an impact player for them. At number two, as of writing this article, is the Edmonton Eskimos who have just three picks in this years draft, but all of them in the first two rounds. There has been a lot of talk about trading picks and draft positions over the last few days so this article may not have a long shelf life, but at number two I believe the Esks could really use a linebacker. With the retirement of Javier Glatt this off-season, the Green and Gold do not have a Canadian linebacker on their current roster and even if they are not looking to start one on defense, linebackers are perfect special teams players and can make a roster immediately in that capacity. At number three is the BC Lions. When I take a look at their roster and where there may be holes, defensive line stands out in that future Hall of Famer Brent Johnson is likely in his last year. However, this team should possibly look at the receiver position, again assuming that O-line is always a good pick. Paris Jackson had a sub-par year in 2010 and while they have great confidence in last years No. 2 pick in the draft, Shawn Gore, he is still a bit of an unknown until he steps in and produces. So, a receiver would make a lot of sense in BC. There it is; a little preview into Sundays show in which I will leave the prospects discussion to Duane Forde and their panel, the offensive-line talk to Chris Shultz, and look at some other areas of need for these teams. But however it shakes down, good luck to all the players waiting to hear their names called in the draft; I know they will be watching the show with great anticipation. A selection in the draft on Sunday is the next step in a young mans football career and it is a very exciting day. ' ' '

New Reply

If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

Support Nibbits by linking to us: