Making it easier for noobs
submit to reddit

• Hey i'm a newbie at starcraft, barely can hold my own in the bronze league. I really liked playing the beta and was excited to see that i could kind of play it while the beta was down using starcrack. I got everything installed correctly but its way too goddamn hard.

This has been addressed in another thread in this forum (http://sc2.nibbits.com/forums/19/view/739/starcrack-easy-ai-too-hard) and the complaint has been mirrored in other places, like the comments of this post (http://www.setupswarm.com/main/games/installation-guides/starcraft-ii-beta-recracked). The two main replies seem to be "well you can change the difficulty to whatever you want" and "you just suck, i can beat hard ai in 20 minutes."

(cont.)

Anonymous
    127.0.0.xxx
  • The first reply is not very helpful for me because i can't find explicit instructions for where to install the different parts of the ai to. From what i can tell i am supposed to use the "other ai" tab in sc2allin1 and place the "aidifficulty.galaxy" file in the root directory of the starcraft 2 install. It also seems like i should change the 'c_difficulty' equal to a high number. I have no idea if i should put it at 3 or 300, or even what the number means, and have only been able to piece together that higher number equals lower difficulty from other unrelated posts. Anyway I've tried this and i still get rushed within 5 minutes regardless of what race i play against. I've been looking up build orders and it just seems impossible. When i play with them in a 2v2 they simply seem to have more resources than me.

The second reply reveals what seems to be the big problem keeping this tool from being popular; there is a very, very wide range of skill in starcraft akin to chess and "easy" ai is still very, very hard for someone who didn't play starcraft 1. I would suggest at least making your own 'very easy' ai that simply doesn't do that much stuff to make up for the inefficiency of regular newbies, kind of like a stronger version of the battle.net AI. Maybe this would make it so that even though tens of thousands of people download your program more than 30 people actually become members of the community.

Anonymous
    127.0.0.xxx

New Reply

If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

Support Nibbits by linking to us: