If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

You are replying to:

• NEWARK, N.J. -- New Jersey Devils star Ilya Kovalchuk will be out 2-4 weeks after hurting his right shoulder. The high-scoring forward was injured in the third period of the Devils 2-1 victory over Florida on Saturday night. General manager Lou Lamoriello says he wont need surgery. Lamoriello tells The Associated Press: "The team is the sum of its parts, and other players are going to get a chance to step up and contribute." Kovalchuk was hurt when he slammed into the boards behind the Panthers net. He briefly remained down before skating off and did not return. Kovalchuk is second on the team with 10 goals and 27 points. Heading into Sunday, the Devils were in seventh place in the Eastern Conference, in position to make the playoffs. www.uspanthersnfl.com/Panthers-Thomas-Davis-Nike-Jersey/ . Jed Ortmeyer scored twice early in the third and Matt Hackett made 23 saves Friday as the Houston Aeros beat Binghamton 3-1. Warren Peters added an empty-net goal for Houston, which leads the series 1-0 and hosts Game 2 on Saturday. www.uspanthersnfl.com/Panthers-Amini-Silatolu-Nike-Jersey/ . As part of the Kraft Celebration Tour, Bathurst will host a special edition of SportsCentre featuring anchors Jay Onrait and Dan OToole when they broadcast live from the New Brunswick community on Wednesday, Aug. http://www.uspanthersnfl.com/Panthers-Mike-Tolbert-Nike-Jersey/ . Jets point leader Blake Wheeler is not on the road trip and will not join the team for Tuesdays game in New Jersey. www.uspanthersnfl.com/Panthers-Jordan-Gross-Nike-Jersey/ . Messi set up David Villa to score Barcelonas opener in the 25th minute, and Villa returned the favour in the 40th for Messi to take his first goal. Villa linked up with Messi again in the 57th as the Argentina forward used a delicate chip shot to net his league-leading 42nd goal of the season and put the result beyond doubt. www.uspanthersnfl.com/Panthers-Chris-Scott-Nike-Jersey/ . In a news release Tuesday afternoon, the school said tests have determined the tumour removed last week from Williams right kidney was an oncocytoma, which is a benign growth often indistinguishable from kidney cancer on X-rays that doesnt spread like a cancerous tumour would.A loss of passion for professional tennis and a battle with depression prompted Canadian star Rebecca Marino to apply the brakes to her career for the second time in less than a year. Marino revealed Wednesday shes receiving treatment for depression, but said her primary reason for stepping away from tennis again is she no longer wants to live the isolated, nomadic life of a pro. The 22-year-old from Vancouver reached a world ranking of 38th two years ago. Marino did not say shes retiring, but has no immediate plans to return to the game. "I have previously been to number 38 on the WTA singles rankings so I realize the amount of work and sacrifices that have to be put in," Marino told reporters during a conference call. "At this point, I dont feel it is worth sacrificing my happiness for." Marino went from No. 192 in the world to 2010 to No. 38 a year later. She waged a memorable battle with Venus Williams before bowing out in the second round of the 2010 U.S. Open. Marino reached the final of a WTA tournament in Memphis the following season. But the Canadian abruptly dropped out of tennis for seven months a year ago. She returned to competition in the fall and won a WTA Challenger event in October. She lost in the first round of the Australian Open in January. Her world ranking has dropped to 418th. Marino explained Wednesday that shes suffered depression for several years, but it wasnt until her break from the game a year ago that she sought treatment. "Ive had days where I havent been able to get out of bed," she said. "I have days where I cant even put my clothes on. Its hard to describe where you have this smothered feeling of grey and lack of motivation to do things. "Im doing much better, but I still have those days where I cant find the motivation to get up. Thats why I have my friends and family and I have a therapist who supports me and they get me through everything." Marino started travelling to play tennis at 13. She took her Grade 12 by correspondence. At the age of 17, Marino spent half a year in Switzerland and at 19, she moved from Vancouver to Montreal to train at the National Tennis Centre..dddddddddddd Living away from her support system was difficult for a young woman dealing with then-undiagnosed depression. Marino had told the New York Times that she found the criticism of her in social media overwhelming at times, but insisted that was not the reason she took herself out of the game again. "My depression had come way before the cyberbullying," she said Wednesday. "This has been going for, I would dare to say, six years, my depression. "Social media has also taken its toll on me. Its not the main reason Im stepping back. Neither is the depression. The reason Im stepping back is because I dont think Im willing to sacrifice my happiness and other parts of my life to tennis." Marino did say she intended to ignore social media for now. "The hurtful ones kind of stick with you a little bit more," she admitted. "I was getting some messages saying I should go die, that I should go burn in hell, that Im a dumb-ass, that Im an idiot, that I lost them money. "I just stepped away from social media last night or the day before just to get away from that because I knew with this press conference, a lot more comments would be coming through." Marino says Tennis Canada was sympathetic and supportive when national team coach Sylvain Bruneau was informed a year ago of her depression. "We tried everything we could in our power to help her achieve her dreams and objectives with her tennis," Bruneau told The Canadian Press prior to Marinos comments to the media. "Weve been very supportive all the way, from the very beginning when shes mentioned things. Were still very supportive of her decision because its obviously whats best for her." Marino considered not discussing her depression publicly, but wanted to assist others who might be dealing with the illness. "Id like to get rid of the stigma attached to depression and mental illnesses in the public and in professional sports," she explained. "Depression is nothing to be ashamed of. If I can open up about my struggle to the public, I hope I can give someone the courage to seek the help they deserve." ' ' '

Support Nibbits by linking to us: